Lost and Found
Click here for lost pets
Visiting the shelter is the best way to determine if we have your pet. We welcome you to call everyday however mistakes can be made due to discrepancies in description, therefore, you are encouraged to visit the shelter at least twice a week.
Your Pet is your responsibility.
- Make sure it is licensed and wearing it's tag.
- Only you can identify your pet when it is not wearing any identification.
- Check with local veterinarians or Ingham County Animal Control about obtaining a micro chip for your pet as a backup identification system. All pets that enter the shelter are scanned for micro chips.
When Your Pet Is Missing
- Check the entire house and yard.
- Check and alert neighbors/postal carrier to be on the lookout.
- Patrol neighboring streets.
- Contact Animal control and provide the information for a lost report, and visit the shelter at least every other day. Check our Lost Pets.
- Check the local papers for found animal ads.
- Check local Veterinarians for injured strays.
- Place a lost ad on social media. (Facebook, Craigslist, Lost and Found Pet Connection, For the Love of Louie)
- Place flyers at shelters, vets and local stores.
- Don't give up hope too soon, we have been able to return pets after two years.
If your pet is at the shelter.
- If your pet is impounded and not wearing a collar it will be held at the shelter in Mason for at least 4 working days.
- If your pet is micro chipped or has other identification tags it will be held for at least 7 working days.
- An exception may be made if the animal is sick or injured to the extent that the holding would cause undo suffering or if the animal has an infectious or contagious disease.
- Animal Control will attempt to contact the owners of animals wearing licenses or other identification by telephone or mail whenever possible.
First time: $25.00
Second time: $51.00
Third time: $100.00
Fourth Time: $150.00
- Non-sterilized animals: $80.00 Sterilization deposit
- A boarding fee of $34.00 per day will be assessed if the pet is not claimed by the next day. If the animal has been assessed to be a dangerous animal, the boarding fee is increased to $76/daily.
In addition there is a $10.00 charge for a DHLPP vaccination, and a $19 charge for a bordatella vaccination for a dog or a RCP vaccination for a cat as these are given to all animals brought into the shelter. This charge will be waived if the owner can show proof that the animal was vaccinated by a veterinarian within the last year.
All dogs must be rabies vaccinated and licensed. Therefore it will be necessary for you to bring these receipts with you when you come to redeem your dog. If your dog does not have a current rabies or license, ($20 fee or deposit will be charged for the rabies and proper licensing fees). All fees must be paid in cash, credit card (Visa/Mastercard), money order or check.
If at the end of the holding period an animal remains unclaimed it becomes county property and may be adopted/rescued or humanly destroyed.